Digimon World: Project Ark
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Digimon World

HomePortalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Project Ark Interview

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
MrChronos
Admin
MrChronos

Project Ark Interview Empty
PostSubject: Project Ark Interview   Project Ark Interview EmptySat Nov 02, 2013 7:48 am

A short interview with a couple of our Project Ark members, enjoy Smile

Vrayx
Tell me what inspired gary(karxdurik) to start the project?

well im not entirely sure his exact reason but it was definitely due to a love of digimon
gary(karxdurik) decided to make a digimon game and he met tom(DGMM) our digimon modeler
they met on the withthewill forums back in 2008
http://withthewill.net/threads/7404-Digimon-World-Interitus-Demo
gary(karxdurik) was doing the coding and tom(DGMM) was doing the modeling and texturing

Vrayx
what engine did you use?

the 2 of them made a small game where the player (tai) could run around with his digimon partner and fight other digimon in the game, the game was very basic and included a few different digimon with a devimon boss at the end
the game was made with the Dark GDK using C++

Vrayx
What happend after the release

sometime after that sam(MrChronos) found gary(karxdurik) tom(DGMM) and all 3 of them joined together to continue making the digimon game they had all wanted to create
a few updates were made but the team was missing a few roles so the team decided to expand
after a few people coming and going we finally found vray who was to help with the animations
the core four was formed and Project Ark was founded
the team decided to move forward and use another game engine
we switched engines because we wanted something that looks better
In essence that didnt work out well because our camera was too far away and the animations were choppy
doesnt help the that models were unbaked so some if not all of the models were flat

once changing to this engine, what were some of the new features you managed to implement?

We got meat farms Training Gyms
We got the basic mechanics of battle working
In this version we brought it closer to Digimon world
rather then a standard RpG with digimon
around the end time of the engine Redigitized was announced, so we kknew we had to step it up
that brought us to our current engine Neo Axis

why did you guys decide to change engines again?

For functionality of the engine and simplicity
Neo axis is a inexpensive but high quality engine that is going through constant changes
The other engine we were using had too many limitations

will you ever change engines again in the future?

NOPE however neoaxis 2.0 is going to be better then a new engine becuase well be able to keep what we have and gain tons of new features

tell me about your current situation with the game?

Well most of the team is  busy with work and whatnot so they only have a a bit to work on it
however we are becoming more active
Now as for progrress
we are pretty confident that the final result will the experience we set out to make, on that everyone willl be overjoyed with

We've seen a lot of images of models and animations on the internet, when can we expect to play it?

Well we have plans to release a 2 hour version that will be fully functional, that being said if we are pressured ennough we will release early?

What will this version include?

Think about digimon world 1 updated with better loooking models and level, but shortned to 2 hours
what will fill that time is Some small missions 2 or 3 boss battles and some things to do after

tell us about your team, how many other people are working on this game with you?

20 people in total while 7 are working currently

tell us about the other members of your team? do you enjoy working with so many people?

Its always fun everyone is super humble and no one has been hard to work with

Tom / DGMM / Blackwaves
3D Modeler / Texturer / Theorycrafter

tell us about yourself, what is your position in the team and what do you do for the game?

Most digimon fans know me as DGMM, I have had a couple of roles on the team through the years. I'm one of the founding members and primarily serve as a modeler. Due to our acquisitions of other people, I can't really call myself the team character modeler anymore, so I would probably fall under the position of lead modeler or modeling director. I work on many things in the game apart from modeling including; general ideas, technical decisions, story development, and some graphical stuff as well.

what was your inspiration to work on this project and help create a digimon game?

I was approached due to my character model requests on the with the will forums. It was an interesting prospect because I remembered playing DW1 when I was a kid and a good opportunity to expand my modeling skills. So I would say my primary driving factor for joining was nostalgia

how has it been working with others in order to finish your game?

It has been an interesting process working with the team to progress the game. Everyone has been pretty enthusiastic and brought their own spice of style and ideas towards what they want the game to be. The collaboration has helped push things forward and expand its horizons overall
I don't know how long my motivation would last if the rest of the team wasn't pushing things forward with their own work and ideas

do you think you've gained any new skills or improved since joining this project?

the embarrassment I feel looking back on my models from around the start of the game is pretty self-explanatory for the immense improvement of my modeling and texturing skills that I have acquired through my work on this game

how is it seeing everything come together and seeing your models in game? are you excited for your game to be finished?

it is pretty fulfilling to see the static models that I make gain life through the animations and then come to life when dropped into our own digital world. It is also great to see the other aspects of the game coming to fruition and combining into a collective whole. I have been ready for some time to see things begin to come together and cannot wait to see the game as a finished product

everyone in your team is from different parts of the world, have you had any problems communicating with other members?

the difference in time zones can be challenging to work around at times, especially when you throw work and life events into the mix. Lucky we are spread out enough to always have a couple members on at most times of the day when things are in full swing, never leaving anyone to sit idle if they are available

Sam / MrChronos / Genos
Game Director / 3D Modeler / Theorycrafter

tell us about yourself, what is your position in the team and what do you do for the game?

My role on the project has changed over the years but my main title would be game director. I do a lot of modeling and designing for the buildings and doodads in game. I also help with the story development and other creative things such as working on the digivolution trees and helping everyone out where I can

what was your inspiration to work on this project and help create a digimon game?

As a child I watched all of the digimon tv show, I remember waking up everyday before school and watching the latest episode. Digimon to me was a huge part of my childhood and after playing endless hours on the playstation 1 playing Digimon World 1 but i always thought this game was too small and could of been something huge so i took it upon myself to create my own digital universe so others can enjoy the game just like I did as a child

there has been a lot of people on the team come and go throughout the years but most of the members have stuck around. Everyone that has joined has been a quality person, I enjoy working with everyone and ive made a lot of friends

do you think you've gained any new skills or improved since joining this project?

there has been a lot of people on the team come and go throughout the years but most of the members have stuck around. Everyone that has joined has been a quality person, I enjoy working with everyone and ive made a lot of friends

how is it seeing everything come together and seeing your models in game? are you excited for your game to be finished?

Its definitely really cool seeing something you've created get put into a live world with characters running around interacting with your designs. This Project has been in motion for a very long time and everything is getting finalized, there has been a lot of anticipation but our game should be ready soon and im just hoping other people can enjoy it as much as i know im going to

everyone in your team is from different parts of the world, have you had any problems communicating with other members?

being one of the only members on the team in the southern hemisphere and having a ~12 hour time difference from most of the team it has been a little hard getting in contact at times. I've lost count of the late nights and the early mornings but it will all be worth it in the end

James / Zeromaru
2D Artist

I'm James, and I do most of the 2D art now since Katsu hasn't been online very often. To elaborate, I make the menu's, the in-game art like the clock, happiness/discipline etc, character design and other miscellaneous art related stuff. If you're reading this on the website then that horrendous Guilmon I drew should be up in the corner.

I loved Digimon when I was small so much you would not believe. Funnily enough though, none of the three basic Irish tv channels played it, at least not when I could watch it. I watched the same nine episodes on VHS so many times I can practically recite them(episodes 1,2,3,13,14 and 15 of Adventure and 14,15 and 16 of Tamers). Anyway, back in mid 2012 I joined Narutoforums.com for the debate scene and strong Digimon fandom. There I met Mohsinman(now Calamity/Hellkaiser) and he introduced me to the project.

That's probably been the best part of my experience, meeting all the great and dedicated people involved in the project. I think I've made a lot of friends and I hope the others don't secretly find me infuriating Razz

coming soon

how is it seeing everything come together and seeing your art in game? are you excited for your game to be finished?

coming soon

coming soon

Vray
Animator

I am the animator of the team, so that makes me the middle man. Models for levels and characters are sent to me. I give them life according to their personalities. I also am also the second in command meaning I'm well aware of most of the projects status.

I have two inspirations derives from the last words. 1 I LOVE digimon. I found the project after looking up 3d digimon on youtube to see if anyone has made one. I see DGMM's models and I am astounded at all of them. The second world game. Is something that I've have wanted to make. I thought that I could do it on my own before but gave up in the first day. My best shot is working on this with the team. Also I love digimon games and anime Smile

Everyone that had ever been on the team I have gotten along with.  Some people come in wanting to change everything and that gets annoying unless they know what they are talking about. But that doesnt last more than a day then from that moment on I know ill never forget them

I have gained so many skills. I will have to post a before and after it has been amazing. I think everyone has taught me something. Be it modeling texturing or general life skills and manners. Although my main skill which is animating was completely self taught. I hope players who saw the old releases will be able to enjoy the large enhancements made to my animations and the game in general.

Amazing. And duh. I think my animations are something people will enjoy as well. Once they have been fully polished and readable they will hopefully make you laugh at how cute or look in awe at how cool megadramon is.

No I get up pretty early to talk to everyone  3 am usually and I go to bed when everyone is done talking to me. There are some small barriers but If I wanted to catch someone it would not be a problem

Gary / Karxdurik
Programmer

I always loved Digimon, video games, and computers. These three things came together in the form of me wanting to program a Digimon video game.
My position has always been the programmer. What do I do for the game? Ha, pretty much everything programming wise. I talk to the team members, find out what features need to be implemented, implement them, and I teach other team members how to use the backend stuff that I've created. (Mostly so I can spend that time implementing features instead of importing animated models and setting the Digimon's stats.)

My inspiration? Probably a combination of Digimon World 1 and seeing BlackWave's(Tom's former alias) models. Digimon World 1 was such a great game. I really liked how your Digimon would get really strong and then reset, forcing you to time things well if you want to accomplish things. I tried my hand at modeling and animating, but was terrible. I can make things work, but I can't make them look good. Seeing BlackWave's models, I knew that I had the other half of what I needed to make a Digimon Game.

Oh, its been fun and frustrating. Having other people with other talents means that things can get done much better than you can do them. But they can't always get done in the timeline that you want. Especially when everyone has school and jobs to keep them busy.

Yes definitely. Working on this game is probably the single most important thing in my development as a programmer. When I went to college, I was way ahead of all my classmates. I still am. :)Having projects like this to show to future employers should help me find a job more easily as well.

how is it seeing everyones models and art all join together to be placed inside a world that you helped design? are you excited for your game to be finished?

It's really awesome once things come together nicely. I can build a world where features work and things happen, but it looks ugly with just solid color cubes and other "programmer art." Without models and art in the game, it would be terrible. And conversely without a game to go into, the models and art can't do much except look pretty. Smile

Yes. Yes, yes; yes. This is probably one of the biggest problems we have (along with our time constraints due to school and work). With what little time we do have to work on the game, it's rare that we can all have free time at the same time. Usually all the stars align during school breaks or the summer. That's when most of our progress is made. Being the only programmer, it seems like I should be able to implement stuff without anyone, but it's actually really hard. I need people to talk to and bounce ideas off of so that I know that I'm making what everyone wants. Yes, communication is a problem.

more interviews to come soon Smile

Last edited by MrChronos on Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:00 pm; edited 4 times in total
Back to top Go down
zeromaru

zeromaru

PostSubject: Re: Project Ark Interview   Project Ark Interview EmptySun Nov 03, 2013 3:31 am

This is a fantastic idea. Great job.
Back to top Go down
http://zeromarusaur.deviantart.com/
Deltastone

Deltastone

PostSubject: Re: Project Ark Interview   Project Ark Interview EmptySun Nov 03, 2013 5:10 am

So this project all started way back around 2008. This post shared the some of the history behind this project. I really like this post.
Back to top Go down
http://vitatrigger.forumtl.com/
MrChronos
Admin
MrChronos

PostSubject: Re: Project Ark Interview   Project Ark Interview EmptyMon Nov 04, 2013 6:35 am

Added in James / Zeromarus first half of his interview Smile more to come soon, hopefully everyone will be done soon
Back to top Go down
MrChronos
Admin
MrChronos

PostSubject: Re: Project Ark Interview   Project Ark Interview EmptyMon Nov 04, 2013 6:46 pm

Vray interview added Smile
Back to top Go down
MrChronos
Admin
MrChronos

PostSubject: Re: Project Ark Interview   Project Ark Interview EmptyWed Nov 06, 2013 5:47 pm

Added Gary/Karxdurik Smile
Back to top Go down
zeromaru

zeromaru

PostSubject: Re: Project Ark Interview   Project Ark Interview EmptyThu Nov 07, 2013 10:23 am

Cool, I didn't think Gary would have the time to make one. It might be confusing that Gary calls Tom "BlackWaves" in ones of his questions though, maybe you should change that, IDK. Also could you put an "I" at the start of my second answer, I must've forgot lol.

... dat triple-post Shocked
Back to top Go down
http://zeromarusaur.deviantart.com/
MrChronos
Admin
MrChronos

PostSubject: Re: Project Ark Interview   Project Ark Interview EmptyThu Nov 07, 2013 1:01 pm

Triple bump of peace Wink It wouldn't be a bump if there was more comments :'( Oh well all in due time
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Project Ark Interview   Project Ark Interview Empty

Back to top Go down

Project Ark Interview
Page 1 of 1